8.13.2007

A little background.




I want to give a little background about our decision to adopt. As some of you may know, five and a half years ago Andrew and I were told that we wouldn't be able to get pregnant because my fallopian tubes were blocked. This was the worst news EVER for me. I have never wanted anything as bad as I wanted a baby. I was only 18 at the time, so while I was distraught about it, it wasn't an immediate emergency for us. A couple years later we decided that we wanted to start a family. I researched every possible option that we had that would let us get pregnant. While I was looking for an answer, Andrew was always calm and sure that we would be parents some day. He was all for adoption since we got married. He always knew it was something that he was going to do at some point of his life. I didn't really have much knowledge about it so I wasn't so sure about it. Well, God totally changed my heart one day when I was watching Andrew's aunt with her 3 little girls, all of whom were adopted. There was something so wonderful about the way that they loved eachother. It was so obvious that Jenna, Jesse, and Gracie were HER daughters. No questions asked. So from that day forward I was 100% sure that I wanted to adopt a baby. Fast forward another year, Andrew and I began attending a new church, Turning Point. Within a few months Andrew was on staff full time and I was learning more and more about what my faith actually meant as well as how to live it out. Pastor Mike and Charla began to encourage us to claim healing over my fallopian tubes. So we did. We prayed and sought God like I never had before. We were so busy with the new youth group though, we had decided that it would be best if we waited a couple more years before trying to get pregnant. Which brings us to this year. In January we decided to go back to the doctor to have a test done where they push dye through your uterus and into your fallopian tubes to see if they were still blocked. We went in and I was so nervous. I believed that God could heal. I had seen other people healed of sickness and disease that was supposed to take their life. But I wasn't sure if God was concerned with healing me. So when the doctor said, "totally clear. Nothing blocking either side," I was in awe! I couldn't believe it. He told us that there was no physical reason for me to not be getting pregnant.
So Andrew and I decided to start trying to get pregnant. But the desire to adopt, to give a child a life that it wouldn't otherwise have a chance at, never left my heart.
I know that adoption is something new for my family. I know that it's not the typical plan to grow a family. But what I do know, is that I have never been more clear about anything in my life. I know that it will be hard. That it will be a lot of work and different. But I also know that if I sit back and do nothing about the plan God is laying out for me, I will never be satisfied. So here we go.

2 comments:

Catherine Rogers said...

I am so excited for you both. I can not think of two better parents. I am so thankful for all the adoptees that have impacted my life.Those children once given a chance at a better life,then impacting the world so significantly, I AM CERTAIN THAT YOUR NEW SON OR DAUGHTER WILL DO THE SAME. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to be able to have a part in this amazing adventure. I can't wait to watch you as you become mother you were always meant to be. My girls and I are so very blessed to have you in our lives! We love you very much!!